Thursday, April 2, 2009

Baja Fresh


Yesterday morning I managed to squeeze in a 4-mile run before doing a billion appointments and errands. This included lunch with my karate instructor. He had been in Japan for several weeks on business (not karate business) and missed Mexican food. He suggested Taco Bell. I countered with the suggestion of going to Baja Fresh. I love their food because they only use lean meats and fresh veggies. I didn't want to undo all the good work I did with running, so as much as I was tempted to get a burrito bigger than my head, a bucket of salty chips, and a gallon of delicious guacamole, I instead ordered the Baja Ensalada with chicken.


What I love about this salad is that they use romaine lettuce. Not one bit of iceburg in there. The pico de gallo, tortilla strips, and sprinkling of cotija cheese makes it flavorful and interesting but without breaking the calorie bank. This generously sized salad is a nutrtional bargain at just 310 calories (WW points 6 if you get the Nonfat salsa verde dressing) and it has 46 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber! Now, I am a slave to convenience, and when I eat out, I typically pick places that are right near my home or work. Baja is all the way on the other side of town from me but I get a craving for this salad several times a year and happily go over there to get one (or even better, I send my hubby).


I deserve bonus points for not eating ANY chips at all. Just the salad. Surprisingly, it kept me full until I had time for a small snack about 3-4 hours later. Usually that doesn't happen for me with salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment